Founder of Mama O’s, Kheedim Oh, says he started the company by accident. He just wanted some authentic, homemade Kimchi. Not the stuff that is typically available in stores, which has a different taste and texture, and often includes extra ingredients you wouldn’t add at home.
So Kheedim began making regular bus trips from Chinatown to DC, to visit his parents and make Kimchi with his mother. Soon he was bringing larger and larger batches of Kimchi home, to meet the demand from his friends, neighbors and even strangers. The business organically grew from a basement operation making Kimchi for friends and family, to a professional production facility supplying Kimchi to restaurants, bodegas, and grocery stores in the US and internationally.
Mama O’s Products
- Kimchi flavors are available from 40oz to 1 gallon and include Mama O’s Original Premium Kimchi, Vegan Kimchi, Super Spicy Kimchi, Daikon Kimchi, Baby Bok Choy Kimchi, and White Kimchi.
- Kimchi Paste is a versatile spicy paste you can use on meats and veggies. The jars are shelf-stable, so no refrigeration is required. It is available in 3 varieties: Original, Vegan, and Super Spicy.
- Kimchili is a tangy cayenne pepper based hot sauce that can be used on just about anything. It is available in the original recipe and Super Spicy.
- Dehydrated Kimchi Flakes add a rich flavor to recipes like soups and is only made in limited quantity for sale.
- Mama O’s also sells a Kimchi Kit that includes everything you need to make your own fresh kimchi at home.