Matt Mundt has always had trouble sleeping—as far back as he can remember. After college and out in the work world, sleep became even more elusive as the stressors increased. He’s not alone. The Sleep Foundation’s studies show that 30% (as a conservative estimate) of the US population have problems getting to sleep and/or staying asleep. Among the accompanying results are:
- Lack of concentration
- Poor performance at school or work
- Mistakes/accidents at work or while driving
If we do not get enough sleep, every area of our lives is affected, both personal and professional, because we simply are operating at a diminished capacity. We are too tired to give the necessary time and attention to our jobs and our personal relationships. And, when you get right down to it, we are just too grumpy!
Matt originally made the Sleep Pod for himself. He had tried the various gizmos on the market. He had tried weighted blankets. He thought that the blanket came close to what he needed, except it kept sliding off the bed and it inhibited movement. In his words, he felt “squashed like a panini.” Also, he couldn’t take the blanket when he traveled, and it was way too cumbersome to toss into a washing machine. He liked the calm that came with the blanket; he just had to find a better way to create that layer of pressure against the skin.
Matt was certainly up to the challenge. He is a design engineer with a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Milwaukee School of Engineering. He also graduated from the Stanford Ignite program at the Stanford University Graduate School of Business. He designed products for Apple, Harley-Davidson Motor Company, and Foxconn, the world’s largest manufacturer of electronics.
The Science Behind the Sleep Pod
- The Sleep Pod uses Deep Touch Pressure to provide a gentle, calming pressure that lets you relax and fall asleep. With DTP, your body switches from “fight or flight” to “rest and digest.” Your heart rate slows, muscles relax, circulation improves. Endorphins, dopamine and serotonin, those chemical bearers of happiness, start flowing.
- The Pod has a cocoon shape that covers the whole body and keeps you tucked in all night. It also creates the proper pressure for you without feeling “squashed.”
- The fabric is made of 89% polyester and 11% Lycra—cool, ultra-breathable, buttery soft and cozy. And smooth enough to allow you to move around easily within the pod. The fabric stretches way out and then returns to apply its gentle, calming pressure. It is lightweight and takes up very little space, so that it goes anywhere with you, and it’s machine washable.
The Sleep Pod comes in three sizes:
- Small is for someone no taller than 6 feet, who wears a size 00 to 4, with a 22- to 27-inch waist.
- Medium is for a maximum height of 6’4”, size 6 to 12, with a 28- to 32-inch waist.
- Large also fits a maximum 6’4” height, but wears a size 14 to 22, with a 33- to 42-inch waist.
Snuggle into your Sleep Pod
Put your feet into the Pod first. Then bring the top seam up to your chest if you want to use your arms or need to use your phone or tablet before going to sleep. Pull the seam above your shoulders for the full cocoon effect. You will feel the soothing pressure around your entire body. Note: Never ever pull the seam over your head.
Sleep in your preferred position, though side or back is recommended. Curl up. Change positions. Bring a pillow into your Pod to hug or put between your knees. The fabric’s 4-way stretch fabric adapts to your every movement.
There are many things in life that we cannot control, but the Sleep Pod allows us to get a good night’s sleep so that we are able to face the inescapable stressors.