Nikeytha (“Nickey”) Ramsey was a traveling speech pathologist returning to work after the birth of her second child. As she grappled with leaky plastic bags, clunky bottles, or heavy glass jars, she thought, “There has to be a better way!” And she found it. She invented Junobie Reusable Breast Milk Bags, the world’s first breast milk storage bags that prevent leakage, are reusable, and are zero waste. Junobie bags save mothers money and often their sanity, while saving the planet. If there are about four million babies born each year in the US, the disposal rate of plastic milk storage bags is almost three billion a year. That’s a lot of plastic infiltrating our environment! And it’s a big chunk of a family’s budget.
Features of the Junobie
- Made with 100% FDA-approved food-grade silicone that is naturally resistant to bacteria, keeps the milk fresher longer, and protects the milk from temperature variations and potential leeching from standard plastics.
- Free from harmful BPA, BPS, phthalates, and lead.
- Unique lock slider provides an air-tight seal for the bag to eliminate leakage while at home or on-the-go.
- Can be stored standing up or lying flat.
- Stands upright for easy filling and pouring.
- Can be frozen and thawed as needed.
- Safe for use in dishwashers (top rack only), ovens (up to 250 degrees), and microwaves.
* Do not put slider into dishwasher or hot water.
- Holds six to eight ounces of milk to allow for expansion when frozen.
- Once baby is weaned, bags can be used for other purposes, such as carrying snacks or storing homemade baby food.
Junobie Creator and CEO
Nickey had a difficult childhood, including a period of being homeless. Fortunately, she had mentors who believed in her and encouraged her. She graduated from high school and went on to Purdue University, where she earned a Bachelor of Applied Science degree in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology. From there, she went to the University of Cincinnati for an MA in Communication Sciences and Disorders.
When she decided she wanted to have children, she opted for more flexibility in her career and joined Indiana’s Early Intervention Program and Preschool Language Development. In that capacity, she served families throughout the Indianapolis area and rural western Indiana with infants and toddlers who had language-related developmental delays or disabilities.
Junobie’s values reflect Nickey’s own:
- Simplicity: The simple things in life are blessings. Small steps lead to simplifying everyday life.
- Reliability: Junobie products are designed to last, and Junobie will be with you as your family grows.
- Sustainability: Reduction and reuse are key to preserving the environment. Junobie milk storage bags save your milk and our planet.
- Community: Parenting is no easy task. Junobie wants to create a judgment-free, supportive community for parents.
- Junobie products now ship to Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, New Zealand, and Puerto Rico. In addition, there are distributors worldwide.
- Junobie was selected by People magazine for their “Last-Minute (But Luxurious) Gifts for Any Pregnant or New Mama in Your Life.”