Range Beauty is a makeup line that was created out of a need for more diverse shades and fewer toxic ingredients. It is an affordable solution to the gap in the cosmetic industry that excludes women of color, particularly those with acne- or eczema-prone skin. Range Beauty brings clean cosmetics (vegan, cruelty free and non-toxic) to women who have been underrepresented in the beauty aisles with a broad range of skin shades and undertones without skin-damaging ingredients.
Alicia Scott, Founder of Range Beauty
Alicia grew up with an allergy to cosmetics and a dream of working in the fashion industry. When she was in college, she developed eczema and found it was due to ingredients used in cosmetics, such as talc, fragrances and dyes. Considering the difficulty she had finding shades that were compatible with her skin tone, she decided to forego cosmetics altogether.
After she graduated from Virginia Tech with a degree in fashion design and merchandising, Alicia moved to New York City where she held several positions in the fashion industry. When she worked directly with models for runway shows or press shoots, she noticed that Black models brought their own makeup kits with them and did their own makeup. The models explained that many makeup artists did not know how to work on Black skin and rarely had the shades that would be suitable or flattering.
Alicia resolved to create a beauty brand with an extensive range of shades for women of color and without toxic ingredients. She had $300 to start with. She was able to find a wealth of (free) information on the Internet. She came up with a site, the Cosmetics Index, that provided everything she needed to know to start her brand. She found a woman-owned manufacturing company with experience in developing products for sensitive skin.
Before launching her cosmetic line, she built up hype on Instagram and Twitter and by enlisting the aid of every family member and friend to spread the word however they could. And she received financing by entering pitch competitions, winning $50,000 in grant money and an investment of $200,000. One competition resulted in a long-term relationship with Target.
In three years, Alicia had parlayed her $300 into $300,000 in revenue! And, as exciting, Range Beauty was selected by Beyonce to be spotlighted on her website among other Black-owned businesses.
Range Beauty Cosmetics
- True Intentions Hydrating Foundation: 21 shades of sheer-to-medium coverage that protects the skin with powerful botanicals and without toxic parabens, talc, sulfates, phthalates, synthetic dyes and fragrances.
- True Intentions Bronzing Primer: Evens skin tone, plumps fines lines, and gives a healthy sun-kissed glow. Wear under foundation or alone.
- Smooth Out Translucent Powder: Four shades of ultra-fine minerals give a silky, smooth matte finish no matter how long or how hot the day.
- Golden Hour Dual Eye Shadow and Highlighter: Five shades that can be applied with a dry or wet eye shadow brush or can be mixed into your favorite body lotion or makeup setting spray.
- Bali Full Body Glow: Use as a facial oil or a body oil for an all-day glow. Apply directly to your skin or mix into your favorite body lotion or foundation.
Range Beauty utilizes botanicals to take care of your skin while beautifying it:
- Calendula is extracted from marigolds and has antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties that heal acne and soothe eczema.
- Cornflower also has natural anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, as well as antiseptic and astringent properties that soothe and condition the skin.
- Chamomile Extract contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that soothe the skin, reduce redness and blemishes, and relieve conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and rosacea.
- French Clay (Kaolin) is a mineral used for its absorbent properties that bring blemish-prone skin into perfect balance and protect the skin from pore-clogging oils, dirt and toxins.
- Vitamin E fights off free radicals that result from environmental stressors such as unprotected sun exposure and air pollution.
- Argan Oil contains omega fatty acids, linoleic acids and Vitamin E to keep the skin hydrated, soften dry patches and reduce acne.
Range Beauty Cares
Among Alicia’s outreach efforts to the community are:
- Painted Pink, a local non-profit that brings awareness to breast cancer in Black millennials,
- Therapy for Black Girls, an online site dedicated to encouraging the mental wellness of Black women, and
- HealHaus, a safe space for Black women that cancels the stigma attached to healing, provides therapy and encourages more discussion about mental health within the Black community.