Lisa Baronoff loves her dogs, Toffee, a Cocker Spaniel, and Stir Fry, a Goldendoodle, and takes wonderful care of them. She likes them to be happy, safe and comfortable. So when she realized that, while she was walking them, they were picking up on their paws all kinds of dirt, germs and chemicals that could harm them and bringing it into her living space, she needed a solution.
Lisa tried dog boots, but it was such a struggle getting them on, and it was obvious the dogs didn’t like them; the boots were tight around the ankles, they prohibited the dog from walking normally, and, more often than not, fell off during the walk. She also tried dog wipes, but they were wet and messy, and many brands were not biodegradable.
That’s when Lisa came up with Walkee Paws, the world’s first leggings for dogs. The patented design covers your dog’s entire legs and connects over his back so that they cannot come off. Since they are loose around the ankles and are made of stretchy rubber, the booties do not interfere with the dog’s normal walk. And it is as easy for the dog-parent as simply slipping the paws into the paw pockets (leggings) and adjust the fit with the over-the-back connectors.
No surprise that Lisa would come up with this. She grew up immersed in fashion as the daughter of a successful designer. Later, her professional life led her to working with Burhose Hosiery (now owned by Sarah Lee Baking Co.) in her native Johannesburg, South Africa, where she developed one of her ideas and launched a silky panty-stocking for them. After she moved to New York City, she managed the startup of a new Legwear Division of Tommy Hilfiger.
Lisa took two pairs of old pantyhose and cut them into leggings, slipped them onto Toffee’s legs and tied them over his back. The pantyhose acted like a sling—easy for her, comfortable for him. And just like that Walkee Paws was born.
Lisa gathered a team and developed a super soft four-way stretch fabric, along with a clever tightening tool that is used to fit the leggings to the dog. (Once you’ve adjusted the loops to fit your dog, they stay that way. You do not have to do it every time.) The material is water-resistant, lightweight and thin, yet sturdy enough to withstand water, snow, and the general wear-and-tear that comes with outdoor walking. The waterproof booties are made from natural rubber, free of dangerous phthalates and lead. Dogs can feel the ground and walk normally. “Grippies” on the outside of the booties provide traction on slippery surfaces, such as wet or icy sidewalks. The grippies are also good on Indoor Walkee Paws to help keep older dogs steady on wooden floors and tiles. Lisa ensures that all manufacturing is done in a factory with the highest safety standards.
Walkee Paws are easy to care for. Rinse the rubber booties under cold water and hang them to dry. When the leggings get dirty, machine wash in cold water on gentle cycle, then hang to dry indoors, out of the sun and away from heat and fire.
Walkee Paws Comes in Five Sizes
It’s easy enough to find the right size for your dog. All you have to do is measure the height of your dog from the floor (behind the front paw) to the shoulder; then measure the widest point of the front paw. The Size Guide will show you the best size.
The five sizes and examples of the dogs they fit:
- Extra Small for a teacup breed, Chihuahua or Yorkie
- Small for a Mini Poodle, Westie or Shih Tzu
- Medium for a Beagle, Cocker Spaniel or Sheltie
- Large for a Golden Retriever, German Shepherd or Siberian Husky
- Extra Large for an Akita, Doberman Pinscher or Irish Setter
For puppies, Walkee Paws has a “grow-with-me” feature, a cord stopper that can be loosened to lengthen the leggings as your puppy grows.
Walkee Paws for All Seasons
- In the spring and summer, they help protect your dog’s paws from sometimes-blistering hot concrete, allergens and chemicals such as herbicides and pesticides.
- In the fall and winter, they keep paws dry and warm and protect them from the freezing cold, from slipping on icy sidewalks, and from chemicals such as ice melt and sidewalk salt. The salt has been known to seriously crack the pads on a dog’s paws.
Walkee Paws Accessories
- Indoor leggings to prevent slipping
- Liner socks for an extra layer of warmth and protection
- Puffer coats – fleece lined
- Raincoats – lightweight
- Reversible harnesses that match leggings
- Leashes that match leggings
- Leggings for you so that you and your dog are a fashion team!