Quevos are a salty, crunchy high-protein chip without all the carbohydrates and fat found in potato chips. Today, people want healthy snacks that conveniently fit into a briefcase, purse, gym bag or car and that are filling and delicious. Quevos checks all the boxes. And gives you a tasty selection of flavors.
Classic Flavors: sea salt and cracked pepper, sweet barbecue, and cheddar.
Keto Flavors: honey mustard, sour cream and onion, dill pickle, and rancheros.
Like many inventions, Quevos were born from necessity. Zack Scheier was always looking for a low-carb snack. He was diagnosed with diabetes as a youngster, and a bag of chips meant an insulin shot. He often made egg white omelets for a snack. He especially liked the crispy bits of egg white left on the pan, so he knew pure protein could crunch like a potato chip.
One day, he wondered: “Could those bits be made into chips?” He got his best friend Nick Hamburger involved—Nick, the collegiate tennis player who was never without a protein bar.
For two years, the two experimented until they came up with the perfect formula for a crunchy, boldly flavorful chip that delivers the necessary nutrition and didn’t send Zack’s sugar level soaring.
Zack and Nick’s Road to Entrepreneurship
- Zack and Nick had the good fortune to have a very knowledgeable neighbor, a co-founder of Skinny Pop that was part of a Hersey billion-dollar acquisition. He was one of the first taste testers, but more than that, provide valuable insights into how to succeed in the highly competitive salty snack market.
- They then rented a test kitchen to determine which equipment gave them the results they wanted on a large scale. Once satisfied with their findings, they moved into a larger production space.
- Zack and Nick joined the New Venture Challenge (NVC) at the University of Chicago, a 10-week course that was essentially “everything you wanted to know about starting a business.” They finished the course full of confidence and chomping at the bit to get Quevos to market. They also finished with the $15,000 first prize.
- Due to their success in the NVC, they were invited to join Kraft Heinz’s Springboard, a new incubator program to nurture and scale “disruptive” natural food brands. As part of the inaugural class, Zack and Nick improved their product, learned how to refine the brand, and developed a long-term strategy. They also picked up invaluable advice from Kraft mentors and from their peers in the program.
- They won another $5,000 from the Future Founders U.Pitch Competition. Future Founders inspires and supports 18- to 30-year-olds interested in building their own businesses. U.Pitch Competition gives participants 90 seconds to pitch their products to investors and successful entrepreneurs. In addition to the cash prize, Zack and Nick appreciated the validation.
Quevos, the Secret Formula
And it is going to stay secret, ‘cause Zack and Nick aren’t talking!
- What we know is that Quevos are made from all-natural ingredients, including egg whites; pea protein (a source of various amino acids); avocado oil and chia seeds (the source of high-quality fats); and Nutraflora, a prebiotic fiber and common dietary supplement. They do not contain gluten or grains.
- One bag of Quevos provides 15 grams of protein, 9 grams of dietary fat, and 12 grams of carbohydrates (9 grams of which are fiber).
Note: Keto flavors have only 4 grams of net carbs.
- Quevos are for anyone with special dietary needs or who follow a Keto, Paleo, Whole30 or Atkins regimen. Or simply anyone who makes nutrition a priority in his or her life.
In 2019, Quevos was selected as one of the Health Magazine Snack Award Winners, and Peapod, a leading online grocer, named Zack and Nick winners of the “Next Best” award for up-and-coming Chicago food and beverage entrepreneurs.