Yuki Kinoshita and Noah Silverman were like any college students: They had more to do than there were hours in the day. They were stressed too often. They were exhausted too often. It took watching a Great Dane curled up in his comfy bed in the local coffee shop for them to come up with the solution. He was so fast asleep, so peaceful, far away in wherever his dreamland was, amid the constant traffic of the shop. Maybe it was because the dog was so big that Yuki and Noah began to picture a human lying there, just as peacefully. Why not a dog bed for humans?
Plufl Before Shark Tank
Yuki and Noah met at the University of British Columbia in the prestigious Vancouver School of Economics, both studying for a Bachelor in International Economics. In addition to their shared interest and experience in economics, they bonded over their shared passion for entrepreneurship, dogs and napping. And then for the company they co-founded Plufl, the world’s first dog bed for humans. Plufl has been enthusiastically featured on The Tonight Show, Good Morning America, Fox News, the Dodo, and in The New York Post, among other important media.
Yuki and Noah wanted to revolutionize napping with a cozy, comfortable, high-quality product where you can rest, recharge and rejuvenate whenever and wherever you want. Above and beyond the ultimate nap, the Plufl was engineered to provide comfort and security to those with ADHD and stress-related and anxiety-related issues.
- Available in Arctic Grey and Biscuit
- Measures 68” long by 38” wide (fits nappers as tall as 6’5”)
- Weighs less than 20 pounds and has built-in handles for easy transport
- Made from multilayered orthopedic CertPur-US foam with a gel-infused cooling air memory foam topper
- Built-in pillow bolsters made of a blend of anti-microbial natural cotton and poly fibers
- Luxurious faux fur cover made of Oeko-Tex Certified 100% polyester plush fabric
- Cover removes easily to be tossed into the washer; hang to dry or tumble on low setting
- Drift off to sleep on cloud-like comfort and with built-in sensory relief.
- The oval shape cradles you into a natural fetal sleeping position.
- The oval shape and handles make it easy to fold up and carry with you.
- Tuck your hands and feet inside the bolsters for sensory relief similar to pressure therapy.
- Elevate your feet on the thick bolster border for reduced tension and increased blood flow.
- The luxurious, sensuous faux fur is calming to the touch.
- The ergonomic design allows continuous comfort whether napping, reading, working or watching TV.
- Sleep is crucial to overall health and quality of life. Naps help you catch up on lost sleep, recover from a long day and reduce stress.
- Not getting enough sleep can lead to low physical and mental functions, lowering of the body’s immune defenses and increasing the risk of chronic disease.
- Naps improve your mood and decrease any tendencies toward frustration and impulsiveness.
- Sleep experts recommend that naps become a daily routine.
- Studies show that a 20-minute power nap can improve productivity by 34% and alertness by 100%. Naps have been proven to regulate cortisol (the primary stress hormone) and promote faster immune recovery.
- A study by NASA on pilots found that a 26-minute nap improves memory, logical reasoning and problem-solving.
Plufl in the Shark Tank
|Shark Tank Air Date
|Season 14 Episode 5
|Yuki Kinoshita and Noah Silverman
|200,000 for 10% equity
|$200,000 for 20% equity
|Mark Cuban and Lori Greiner
Entrepreneurs Yuki Kinoshita and Noah Silverman entered the Shark Tank, seeking a $200,000 investment in exchange for a 10% equity stake in their business, Plufl.
The valuation $2M was not without its challenges, as Kevin O’Leary expressed interest but insisted on a more substantial 30% equity share to proceed, setting a high bar for negotiations. Robert Herjavec swiftly bowed out, disinterested in the proposition.
The pitch found a favorable response in the partnership of Mark Cuban and Lori Greiner, who saw parallels between Plufl and a prior successful collaboration of theirs, Hug Sleep. Together, they extended an offer of $200,000 for a 20% equity stake in Plufl. After careful deliberation, Yuki and Noah accepted this joint offer, thereby securing the desired investment while conceding a 15% higher equity stake than initially proposed.